Sunday, April 9, 2017

Hard-ish News

Well, this was the most difficult assignment I have ever had for a photography shoot and I found out that this is probably not a career path for me. Listening to the police scanner was the hardest initial task. As I would listen during the time I dedicated to it when I wasn't working, or volunteering for D-Week, or taking care of other homework and I wasn't lucky enough to catch any action in the small segments. So I chose to dedicate my Sunday to listening and responding.

The sound is scratchy so I learned you have to be very alert and can't multi-task while listening. Location's were never repeated and I began to wonder how cops were so responsive off of one quick verbal address. I learned that St. George is not a crime hub and definitely isn't a very active community for police work. In the 5 hours I was listening on Sunday there were 4 or 5 elderly people who fell and called for help. And finally there was a "Silver Ford Taurus versus a rock Wall" off of mile marker 14 on the 9 east. The problem I had was that it was so far away that by the time I got there I pulled up and the car was pulling away on a tow truck. In fact while I listened as I drove I heard them call off the medics because they weren't needed. The images I captured were of the police on the side of the freeway at the location. I couldn't walk up the side of the road because speeds are high and the roadway was narrow. The car on the tow truck appeared to be in good condition. The front bumper was hanging off but the airbags were not deployed and the car had no real structural damage. The driver was a young woman but they never said what caused her to swerve off the road.

I am continuing to listen hoping for better photos but this is what I have for now.


2 comments:

  1. But you did it; you listened, moved and investigated - the first 90% of photojournalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on getting out there and getting the story! You're definitely NOT the only one who's figured out that this career path isn't for them at all. Good shots!

    ReplyDelete